Announcing the 2017 TEDWomen Global Showcase: Designing Livelihoods for Refugee Women
The Alliance for Artisan Enterprise is thrilled to announce the second-ever Global Showcase at the 2017 TEDWomen Conference, November 1-3, in New Orleans, Louisiana. In 2016, the Alliance featured 12 extraordinary artisan businesses in the inaugural Showcase.
This year, the Alliance is reinventing the Global Showcase, highlighting artisan enterprises that provide vulnerable refugee populations with sustainable livelihoods. Every member of the Alliance for Artisan Enterprise that is working with refugees is eligible for this opportunity, and will be considered by the Showcase review team. We are excited to stay in touch with updates throughout the Showcase planning process. See you in New Orleans!
Heritage Initiative Showcased at Town & Country Philanthropy Summit!
On May 9, Alliance director Peggy Clark joined the TreadRight Foundation, Michael Bloomberg, John Legend, and others for the 2017 Town & Country Philanthropy Summit in New York City.
At the summit, Town & Country showcased the artisan businesses working in partnership with the Alliance and TreadRight as members of the Heritage Initiative, including the Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco, TRIA ETC, Laboratorio Giuditta Brozzetti, and Ock Pop Tock. Learn more about the Summit and see photos on the TreadRight blog.
In case you missed it: Improving your Design Process with Angel Chang
In this month's Digital Learning Series, womenswear designer Angel Chang led a one-hour webinar focused on design and product development. Angel shared her creative process and discussed steps artisan organizations can take to make their product lines stronger. Miss the session? Watch the recorded webinar in the Alliance member portal today!
- Tickets are now available for the 2017 International Folk Art Market in Santa Fe, New Mexico - the 14th annual market. See you there!
- Turquoise Mountain is looking for a Saudi Arabia-based Operations Director and Crafts Training Director; apply today on the organization's website
- Find Nest featured in Refinery29 UK in celebration of Fashion Revolution
- This October, Thrums Books and ClothRoads will host a Textile Film Festival in Loveland, Colorado. Follow ClothRoads as films are announced!
- Find ABURY featured in InStyle's Independent Handbag awards as the "most socially responsible handbag" - vote today!
- Cultural Survival Bazaar is now accepting applications to participate in the July 2017 Bazaar in Plymouth, MA; learn more and apply today
- AOW Handmade visits artisans businesses and trade shows around the world to collect and connect the best talent; follow Annie's travels on Instagram
- Save the date! This year's Caravana Americana trade show will take place in Mexico City, Mexico October 6-8; apply to participate online
- Looking for textile events this June? Explore top picks from ClothRoads
- Find Indego Africa featured on Man Repeller in celebration of summer's "full blown wicker [basket] obsession"
Did we miss something? Email email@example.com with updates from your organization to be featured in next month's letter.
The heart of the Alliance community is our network of artisan businesses, social enterprises, non-profits, and more - over 140 active members! Visit our updated member directories and get in touch with Alliance members working across the globe. Find a full list of members here.
Check out the full Member Portal (password: alliance2012) to access member directories, host an Artisan Innovation Workshop session, apply for the Artisan Loan Program, explore upcoming events, read past newsletters and more!
Header photo by Earth Heir