Thank you for completing the 2016 Alliance member survey!
We are so grateful for your valuable feedback and insight into the Alliance's mission, objectives, and current initiatives. Congratulations Sami El Fakir ofMartizana, the winner of our raffle for completing the survey! The Alliance will be working hard to integrate your feedback and better serve our network. We will be sending a letter soon sharing our next steps in response to your feedback!
First, we have recently updated our member portal. Find member directories, a calendar of events and markets, past newsletters, and more here (password: alliance2012). Check out the updated portal and let us know what you think!
Thank you for everything, Greta!
Congratulations and thank you to Greta Schettler, the new Vice President ofWEConnect International! As the key liaison between the U.S. Department of State's Office of Global Women's Issues and the Alliance for Artisan Enterprise, Greta played a critical role in the Alliance's founding, launch of the Global Campaign for Artisan Enterprise, and continued success. Her exceptional leadership and wholehearted support for the global artisan sector will be dearly missed! We are so excited to stay involved as you lead and grow WEConnect.
AAE @ SXSW:
On March 15, director Peggy Clark joined Alliance member Bloom + Grace, the UN Foundation's Shot@Life, and iris worldwide in Austin, Texas for the SXSW Social Good Hub, speaking on "Social Good Business: Benefits, Barriers, and Branding."
In an exciting and thought-provoking discussion, the four women discussedchallenges of working in the artisan sector, the increased consumer demand for sustainable goods, and the value of the global handmade marketplace. Read more about the panel on our blog!
What's next for #ChooseArtisan? Stay in touch for updates, and find the Alliance at the Skoll World Forum April 13-15 in Oxford, England. Peggy will be leading a lunch discussion on economic opportunity in the artisan sector.
Move #WomenForward with the Alliance for Artisan Enterprise:
March 8, 2016, the Alliance celebrated International Women’s Day with the Aspen ASCEND program at the Aspen Forum on Women & Girls: Conversations Across Generations. The Forum was co-hosted by Alliance Director Peggy Clark and ASCEND’s Anne Mosle to explore a nuanced approach to women’s issues. The program featured an array of explosive, thought-provoking women discussing violence, progress, barriers, and opportunities for women around the world, including Alliance member Reema Nanavaty of SEWA. Learn more about the panel in anticipation of the White House's United State of Women Summit on our blog!
- The Alliance introduced 4 new members this March! Learn more aboutMimeyco, Luis Mendez Artesanos, Vista 360°, and Thread Caravan, and get in touch today
- Congratulations Sonali of Mela Artisans on her fully funded Kiva loan! Is your organization interested in receiving funding through the Alliance-Kiva program? Learn more and apply on our website.
- Find more information about upcoming events, markets, and forums, including deadlines and contact information, on the Alliance website!
- Join ByHand Consulting at Manila FAME, April 21-24 in the Philippines; interested in attending? Learn more here
- In partnership with BJ Adventures, the International Folk Art Alliance offers the "Passport to Folk Art" trip series; learn more and sign up here
- Aid to Artisans will host its annual Market Readiness Program during the NYNOW Artisan Resource fair in August; learn more and sign up here
- See Mercedes Salazar earrings featured on Man Repeller!
- Learn more about Fashion & Compassion from SEED20 Charlotte
- Mela Artisans tackles "What is Good Design?" now on their blog
- The U.S. Department of State Secretary's Office of Global Women's Issues just announced the Women's Entrepreneurship Fund; read more in Huffpost Impact
Did we miss something? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with updates from your organization to be featured in next month's letter.
Read about the state of the artisan sector, consumer trends, development issues, and more:
- "Women's Issues are More than Clickbait. A Nuanced Approach Can Build an Effective Movement," by Alliance director Peggy Clark and Anne Mosle in Huffpost Impact
- "From Kitsch to Craft to Economic Growth" in the Huffington Post - featuring the Alliance and more!
- "3 Ways the Conscious Fashion Movement is Raising its Game with Millennials," in Forbes
- "Mexico City's New Design Fair: Caravana Mexicana," from Cool Hunting
AOW Handmade Reports - member discount!
Alliance member Annie Waterman recently launched AOW Handmade, an industry report initiative that provides detailed updates on trends, shows, and suppliers in the artisan sector. Her newest reports cover the NYNOW Artisan Resource winter show and Ambiente. The Alliance is thrilled to offer a 20% discount on these reports for all members! Learn more about AOW Handmade and purchase a report on her website using the promo codeALLIANCE.